Thursday, November 5, 2009

Seuss on the Loose


I should have started my tour blog a few weeks ago, but better late than never! We are in the third week of the Seussical the Musical tour and so far, there are some pretty funny stories to relate!

For starters, kids are ridiculous. At an elementary school in Maryland, the stage in the gym was too small for our show so we performed on the gym floor. The front row was pre-k, and I just couldn't stop laughing at their faces. At one moment there was an adorable little boy imitating the monkeys with his arms. I can't remember what it's like to be a child absorbing a show at that age. I wonder what they understand, what their eyes are drawn to and why. Are they transfixed on my purple tights and green leopard skort or are they really rooting for Horton to fall in love with Gertrude?

My fondest memory of the younger species thus far has been at another location in MD where there were a pair of what appeared to be 3 year-olds sitting in the front row with orange t-shirts; one said Thing 1, the other Thing 2. I couldn't resist glimpsing at them every chance I got. They were so attentive and didn't move for the entire hour. I can't even do that at a show.

I haven't toured in a few years, but there are some things that just don't change. EVERYTHING is cheaper outside of the greater NY area. Yogurts are still 50 cents in random supermarkets across the country. The Hometown Restaurant in the middle of Pennsylvania has six dollar wraps, including fries. Mr. G's restaurant near White River Junction, VT was barely populated until our cast entered, and yet, they were still slow as a turtle with service, but cheap, and the food was still good, surprisingly enough.

I'm sure you will all be happy to know that white trash America still exists and is, for better or worse, still populating and thriving; especially at Econolodges and Quality Inns.

Most amusing, though, is my experience at a gas station in VA. I was inside the market at the register and a low life guy with gold teeth and tattoos all over his arms wanted to get together with me. I was friendly enough and was bordering between exasperation and laughing in his face when he asked if he could give me his number. I said ok, and made a mad dash to the van, where apparently, the cast thought I was trying to give HIM my number. This is how rumors get started.

Tune in soon for more updates and anecdotes from the road!!!!


3 comments: